chroma problems / potential improvements

Comments

3 comments

  • Avatar
    Jonny Yeu

    Hey Greg, thanks for your feedback, we're certainly happy to hear that you've had a great experience with your Palette 2 thus far. We also appreciate your feedback concerning Simplify3D and your MK3. I'll be sure to bring this to the attention of our team so that we can improve the experience in the future.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    GregH

    Jonny,

    After using my Palette 2 for a while, I have another suggestion. Let me provide some background.

    I have a model which requires support for a feature which begins at approximately 38mm. This feature is printed in a color which is not used at many location in the model. So, on most layers, a transition to this color only occurs to print the supports for this feature.

    In an effort to prevent this, I used Simplify3D's variable settings wizard to split the process for this feature into three parts and assigned the support extruder for each of the three parts to be the dominate color for that section of the model.

    The result looked great in Simplify3D, so I pulled it into Chroma to generate a mcf file.

    But, within the mcf file, I saw a change to the dominant color, away from it, and then back to it for the supports within the same layer. With a bit of digging, I realized that the main use of the color on that layer and its use for supports were part of different S3D processes and that they were separated by another process in the g-code stream.

    I experimented a bit with reordering the processes within S3D to see if that changed it g-code output and found that it did. But, I could still find instances were a tool was used, replaced, and then used again within the same layer.

    Without splitting the process and allowing transitions to the feature's color only for supports on many layers required 528 splices.

    Splitting the feature's process so that the supports would be in a color that existed on the layer, but accepting whatever random order S3D had placed then in dropped it to 499 splices.

    Being a bit careful about the order of the processes with S3D dropped it further to 473 (10.4% reduction).

    If I do not generate supports at all, the print requires 405 splices. Since I have specified the processes in a way that supports always print in an existing color, that number should be achievable with supports. But, that would require either S3D or Chroma to ensure that all processes for a single tool/extruder within a layer are sequential.

    So, that is the enhancement request.

    Please have your parser reorder the processes within a layer so that all processes which use the same tool/extruder are sequential before performing the rest of your magic. BTW, I think this would be completely safe to do so long as you preserve order within each process.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink
  • Avatar
    Jonny Yeu

    Hi GregH, thanks for your message and providing this depth of information. I'll definitely pass this along to our software team.

    0
    Comment actions Permalink

Please sign in to leave a comment.