Since Robo printers contain a built-in Raspberry Pi it is possible to download and install the CANVAS Hub plugins directly. However, because of differences between the Robo and desktop versions of OctoPrint, there are some additional steps that need to be completed by the user to properly connect the plugins to your Robo printer.
Palette 2 Plugins
Version 1.3.0 and newer will work with Robo printers automatically
Please follow the steps below to adjust your CANVAS plugins:
- Connect remotely to your Raspberry Pi from your computer.
Please enable SSH on your Robo Raspberry Pi. See specifically sections “Enabling Access Control” and “Toggling SSH” from the following support article: https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002840791-Using-Access-Control-Security-Feature
Then, on your Robo3D printer’s screen, find the IP address or DNS name (under “Network Status”).
Afterwards, please follow the instructions in the following link to get connected via SSH:
- Once you are in your Pi, please activate your OctoPrint Python virtual environment.
The absolute path to this virtual environment is the following, but please make sure this is the right location:
The command to activate the environment is:
- Once your virtual environment is activated, write in the command: pip list
This will show you all of the Python dependencies that OctoPrint is using as well as their versions. There should be one called "websocket-client".
- If the "websocket-client" version is not 0.40.0:
- Write in the command pip uninstall websocket-client and once it is uninstalled, please write in the command pip install websocket-client==0.40.0
- If the “websocket-client” version is already 0.40.0:
Please restart OctoPrint and see if the CANVAS Plugin is functioning. If not, please contact Robo3D support for further assistance.
- Once version 0.40.0 of "websocket-client" is installed, please restart your Pi and log into a web browser to see if the Canvas connection issue is now working.
Once these steps are done, there are a few things to note about printing with CANVAS Hub and Robo printers:
- Before starting a print, manually connect your Palette to your printer on the OctoPrint interface.
- Please ensure that you've set your Firmware Purge to be 0 mm. In CANVAS, this can be found under your Printer Profile's Advanced Settings:
- When you first start a print using CANVAS Hub (either on your Robo's screen or on the Hub interface), your Robo printer will start it's homing sequence first.
- At this point, you'll notice a spinning loading icon with the text "Verifying Palette 2 connection before starting print". This is normal and will run for the duration of your Robo's homing sequence.
- If your homing sequence has completed and Palette has disconnected, please re-connect Palette on the Hub interface under the 'Palette' tab. This will prompt your printer to run its homing sequence again.
- Once your printer has completed the homing sequence, Palette will begin to make filament. Once enough filament has been created so that 2-3 inches are protruding from the outgoing tube, load this filament into your Robo's extruder. Using OctoPrint's controls, carefully load filament while watching Palette's screen. The goal is to stop loading as close to 0 mm as possible.
- When the filament is loaded and you're ready to print, select 'Start Print' on Palette's screen.
If you have any additional questions, please send us a message at email@example.com.