What does CANVAS Hub do and why does it need to be setup?
CANVAS Hub is the keystone of Mosaic’s multi-material ecosystem. It is the center of everything to do with your multi-material printing experience, and the bridge that allows your hardware products to communicate with each other and come online. However, CANVAS Hub needs to know a few things unique to each customer before it becomes a useful part of your workflow. Please follow the steps below to set up your CANVAS Hub.
CANVAS Hub unboxing and initial power up
- Unbox your CANVAS Hub and confirm that you have the following parts:
- Find a spot to setup your CANVAS Hub. We recommend positioning your Hub closer to a router if your printer setup permits it and ensuring that the USB cable connected to your printer is long enough to reach the Hub without getting in the way of any of your printer axes during movement.
- Connect your power supply to the outlet and CANVAS Hub. Check that your indicator light turns on. Once connected, please wait approximately 3 minutes to initialize and set up an access point to connect. Please note: We recommend waiting for the entire 3 minute duration as trying to access your CANVAS Hub interface too early can cause it to reset and prolong the process of getting itself setup.
- Locate your CANVAS Hub serial number. This can be found on the bottom of your CANVAS Hub unit or on the lid of the packaging box. The serial number has the format of XXXX-XX and is not case sensitive. In this case, the serial number is '0ALX-CH'.
- Once your unit has been plugged into the power for 3 minutes, you'll be able to connect your CANVAS Hub to its internal website.
Connecting to your CANVAS Hubs internal website
- At this point, your CANVAS Hub is broadcasting its own network that can be located on your WiFi networks. The name for this network will be the same as your serial number with the format 'XXXX-XX-canvas-hub'. In our example, the network is called '0ALX-CH-canvas-hub'.
- Once connected, locate the unique web page for your CANVAS Hub unit. Similar to the network name, insert your serial number with the format 'XXXX-XX-canvas-hub.local/' into the browser of your choice. In our example, this would be '0ALX-CH-canvas-hub.local/'. Please note: the forward slash ('/') at the end of the address is necessary for this to work.
Putting the CANVAS Hub on your local WiFi network
- Now that you're connected to the Canvas Hub interface, you will connect CANVAS Hub to your home network. Go to the Settings menu (wrench icon near the top of the screen) and select Network connection on the left-side menu. Select the desired WiFi network and click Connect and input the password. In our example, we've connected to network "BELL953". CANVAS Hub will automatically restart itself after this selection to connect to the chosen network. Please note that CANVAS Hub will not appear on 5G networks, so ensure that you are using a network that is running on 2.4 GHz.
- Once CANVAS Hub has connected to your home network, ensure that your computer has also reconnected to this network. For some users, your computer will reconnect automatically but for others, you may need to re-enter your credentials.
Updating your CANVAS Hub
- Important: for first-time CANVAS Hub setup, do not select "Update All" before selecting Palette 2 Plugins. To ensure that you're using the most up-to-date features, please update the Palette 2 and CANVAS Hub plugins before use. Return to the Settings menu and select Software Update from the left-side menu. The order of the plugins update is very important, so please update the Palette 2 Plugin first, followed by Update all as detailed in the next steps
- Click Update for the Palette 2 Plugin, then Proceed. The plugins will begin to install. Follow onscreen instructions and once given the option to Reload the web page, select Reload Now.
- Once the browser has reloaded, navigate back to Settings > Software Updates and select Update all. The installation steps are similar to the Palette 2 Plugin install steps above. When prompted, select Reload Now.
Connecting your CANVAS slicer account to CANVAS Hub
- To allow uploading of your sliced files directly from CANVAS, you will need to first connect your account to CANVAS Hub. Select the CANVAS tab and enter your credentials. Once completed, a confirmation message will confirm that you have successfully connected your account. If you haven't yet setup a CANVAS account, you can do so here.
- To remove a CANVAS Hub from your account, login to CANVAS and go to User Settings > Manage CANVAS Hubs > Delete. You should no longer see your CANVAS account on the CANVAS Hub interface.
Connecting your printer to CANVAS Hub
- Now that your CANVAS Hub can talk wirelessly to your desktop computer, connect your Hub to your printer. Depending on your printer's USB slots, select the provided USB-B or micro-USB cable. Insert the USB-A side into any port of your Hub and the other end into your printer.
- Once the cable is connected, connect your printer onto CANVAS OctoPrint by selecting Connect on the main screen under 'Connection'. The Connection tab will minimize once the printer is connected to CANVAS Hub. You'll also notice that the State will read Operational in the 'State' tab.
Connecting your Palette 2 to CANVAS Hub
- Lastly, connect your new Palette 2 to CANVAS Hub. Turn on your Palette 2 using the power switch on Palette's side and connect the provided micro USB. Attach the other end to any USB port on the CANVAS Hub.
- Return to CANVAS OctoPrint. Under the 'Palette 2' tab, select Connect to Palette 2 to complete the connection between your Palette 2 and CANVAS hub. When your Palette 2 successfully connects the Connection Status will change to 'Connected'.
To start a print using CANVAS Hub, please see this support article: Starting a Print with CANVAS Hub.
If you have any additional questions, please send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.