Canvas Hub Network Connection Troubleshooting
CANVAS Hub helps to connect your printer and Palette together through serial connections, and there may be times when a connection is not working properly. Please follow the guide below to troubleshoot any connection issues you may be experiencing when setting up CANVAS Hub for the first time.
Connecting to CANVAS Hub or Local Network WiFi
These are troubleshooting tips for when you are setting up CANVAS Hub for the first time.
I am trying to connect to CANVAS Hub's WiFi network
If you are setting up CANVAS Hub for the first time, but are unable to see its network when you go to your computer's WiFi settings, please follow these instructions. The setup steps to connect to the Hub can be found here.
- If you cannot see CANVAS Hub's network and your Hub is powered on, please check that the Hub is positioned close to your wireless router on this first step to ensure the most success.
- When plugging in CANVAS Hub to its power supply for the first time, ensure that you allowed it enough time to boot fully (approximately 3 minutes).
I am trying to connect back to my local WiFi
If you are having issues connecting back to the home network after connecting to the CANVAS Hub network, please follow these instructions.
- Once you're connected, there will be a switch from the CANVAS Hub network to your Home network. If you are stuck on a rebooting screen, wait 3-5 minutes for your Hub to properly load the necessary files, and after please hit refresh on your browser.
- Please note, if you have multiple networks are home and you lose a connection during the above steps, there is a chance that the Hub has connected to another of your networks. If the CANVAS Hub is not connected to your desired network please check the other connected networks.
I can't login to Octoprint
If you have updated to Octoprint 1.5 but didn't previously create an Octoprint user account, please follow the instructions here.
Connecting to CANVAS Hub Page
These are troubleshooting tips for after you have connected back to your local WiFi network and trying to access the CANVAS Hub page on the web browser.
I am on a Windows machine and XXXX-XX-canvas-hub.local/ does not work
If you are using a Windows machine, the .local part of this web address causes it to be treated differently and in some cases Windows machines can find it hard to interpret correctly. Please download and install Bonjour Print Services which will help translate this address correctly. Once the installation has finished please try to revisit your CANVAS Hub. If you find you are unable to and have an active Windows Firewall, please allow traffic on UDP Port 5353 and grant internet access to mDNSresponder.exe.
I Can't Connect to CANVAS Hub's page
If your CANVAS Hub is connected to your home network and you're still seeing connection issues to the CANVAS Hub website, please try the following:
- We encourage that you attempt to connect using the DNS serial number multiple times until successful. If you are able to connect to your Hub's WiFi hotspot but unable to connect using the DNS serial number address, please enter this IP address into your browser's address bar: 10.0.0.5/
- If you're unable to connect via the DNS serial number address, please look for the CANVAS Hub IP address and enter this into your web browser. You can usually find the IP address through your router or by using a program like Advanced IP Scanner.
For CANVAS Hub: The IP Scan may display the hub's hostname as its serial number or Raspberry Pi foundation.
For CANVAS Hub S: The IP Scan may display the hub's hostname as Shenzhen Ogemray Technology Co.,Ltd.
- CANVAS Hub will not appear on 5G networks, so please ensure that you are using a 2.4 GHz network when trying to connect to your home network.
Connecting your Palette and printer
If you're having issues when connecting your Palette and printer, please follow these steps:
- Unplug your Palette from the Hub.
- With your printer connected and powered on, attempt to connect to your printer via OctoPrint by manually selecting the serial port instead of the AUTO selection. There should only be ~2 options to select from, so if one does not work, please attempt the other options until you successfully connect.
- Once connected, plug your Palette back into the Hub and connect on the OctoPrint interface.
If you have any additional questions, please send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hello, octoprint on the Hub S is not detecting any networks within the "Network Connection" tab.
I am able to connect to the hubs hotspot and access octoprint via 10.0.0.5. My wifi network is 2.4 ghz and I've re-flashed it a few times already. Originally I set up the pi zero hub and it was able to connect without any issues, but with wanting to use octolapse in conjunction with the palette 2, I decided to upgrade it to the pi 3.
Jon - Reply
Hey Jon, this message looks to be related to OctoPrint itself. My guess is that there is an error in the communication between the underlying linux/OS WiFi configuration and the plugin. We'd recommend a reinstall, reset, or update of the network connection plugin or image.
Jonny Yeu -
Jonny, no when I boot the Hub I'm able to connect to it's hotspot via my pc. Once connected, I can enter 10.0.0.5 and access the octoprint interface. At this point, I click the wrench within octoprint and scroll down to "Network Connection". When i click on that tab, there are no networks populated. There's is, however, a big greyed out "Refresh" button with a line of text under it that reads "netconnectd socket: /var/run/netconectd.sock".
Hey Jon, just to confirm, after accessing OctoPrint via 10.0.0.5/ you're unable to re-connect to OctoPrint after adding it to your network? Could you please try and enter your Hub's IP address in the address bar and see if this will help with the connection? mm3d.co/canvashub-connection
Jonny Yeu -
Hi there, i can’t connect to my hub-s, i can see it in the network, i know it’s hostname and ip (pingable) but i’m getting a 503 in browser (bonjour already tried)….it looks like the Raspbi has a problem because this was occuring during an update of the canvas plugin (server stops responding, 30’ later i restarted it manually, since ther it’s broken)…its a hub-s version without a SD-Slot (it does not match to your support pictures) so i can’t reflash it. could you please help me out ? thank you in advance, Tom
Rollityler - Reply